Sunday, June 13, 2010

Out of the Spin Cycle

Another book review!  Oh my.  I think I'm going to sign up for a career as a "book reviewer".  There is nothing like being mailed a (free!) book and then getting to tell everyone else about it.  Everyone who knows me knows that I am an avid reader, and I also love to tell others about the books I think they would love.

Can I just say that I was incredibly blessed by this book?  Because I was.  Out of the Spin Cycle: Devotions to Lighten Your Mother Load by Jen Hatmaker is, hands down, the best devotional book I have ever read.  You know it is going to be a good book when you can't make it through the "Contents" page without laughing.  I did not read this book "in order"... I picked out the devotionals with the titles that I liked the most and read those first.  Hee!  Because I'm just like that.   

Jen (I feel like I know her personally after reading this book, so I'm going to call her Jen) uses humor and straight talk to introduce new perspectives about mothering.  I just love how she is so real, and tell-it-like-it-is... because when your little cherub finds the Vicks VapoRub and the Desitin and smears them all over their bed, and their walls, and their closet doors (yes, that happened to me), sometimes you just need someone who understands what that kind of a day is like, not someone who will make you feel like you are doing something wrong because your house doesn't stay clean all day long.

I think that my favorite part of the book is how she took events from history and from the Bible, and turned what could have been presented in a dry fashion into engaging stories that made my mouth water for more.  Each devotional was the perfect proportion of learning something new and being encouraged in my role as wife and mother.

Go out and get this book if you have little people running around your house!  Do it now!  You will definitely not regret it.
                         
                            ------------------------------

Out of the Spin Cycle: Devotions to Lighten Your Mother Load, by Jen Hatmaker.  Available June 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.  www.RevellBooks.com

No comments: