Sunday, August 30, 2009

Let's Get Started!

 











We are officially ready to start school! Griffin is doing Kindergarten this year, and Sammy... well, Sammy is going to hang around and do as much as he possibly can with Griffin.


We had a fun "Box Day". For those of you not familiar with Box Day, it is the day you receive your big boxes full of school books from Sonlight, the curriculum we are using. It is an exciting day, full of waiting around by the front windows for the boxes to arrive, cutting open boxes and pulling out brown stuffing paper and books galore, and organizing materials. Here is what our "homeschool shelf" looks like today.


We also have drawers full of crayons, markers, rulers, construction paper, glue, and all of the other essential school supplies. Just look at all of those books! I used the pink stickers on the books to let me know that 1) those are school books, and 2) they are for Kindergarten. First grade books will come with a different color of stickers so that I will be able to tell the years apart and not get books mixed up.
We can't wait to get our greedy little hands on the books and curl up and read on the couch. We also have boxes full of supplies for science experiments. It all looks like so much fun! We can't wait to get started.
I wrote out daily assignment sheets for our first week that tell us what to do every day. I have an Instructor's Guide (the big blue notebook on the right side of the picture), but it has 4 different weekly assignment sheets for every single week (we will do 36 weeks of school), and I don't want to have to flip back and forth to find what we are supposed to do every day, so I'm writing it all out.
In fact, I think I will go get an actual planner when Mike gets home from getting his hair cut. That way I won't have loose sheets of paper floating around everywhere, and I can have our entire Kindergarten year recorded in one place. The mall here has a new two-story Barnes and Noble, with a big school/homeschool section, and I needed a good excuse to go visit there again.



1 comment:

angela | the painted house said...

Can't wait to hear how you like Sonlight. We are starting week three tomorrow. Week one was torture. Week two was better. I'm hoping it keeps improving! I wish you all the best and lots of fun!!!