Wednesday, September 03, 2008

First Day of Homeschool

Our first day of homeschool was SO MUCH FUN!!! It went so much better than I expected it to. Sammy went down for his nap around 2pm, and he went right to sleep. Normally he will stay awake and talk and fidget and roll around in bed. Maybe this has been the solution all along! I didn't realize that having Griffin in the room with him was keeping him from sleeping.

We'll see if the "going right to sleep" thing lasts once he realizes how much fun we're having while he sleeps. I'm praying it continues!

Griffin and I sat down and got right to work. He wouldn't let me do anything else.

First, I introduced the Bible verse for the week. He will be learning Proverbs 4:20 -- "Pay attention, my child, to what I say. Listen carefully."

Then we read:
"Old Mother Goose," from A Treasury of Mother Goose Rhymes,
"Mouse and the Lion" from The Lion Storyteller Bedtime Book,
"The Poky Little Puppy" from Family Treasury of Little Golden Books,
a poem by Carl Sandburg from Eric Carle's Animals Animals,
we learned about winter from The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature (Almanac)
we learned about the Island of Banilla (not a real island), its inhabitants, its government structure, and all of the people who make the island of Banilla work in Things People Do

The last things we did were two worksheets from Developing the Early Learner 1. The first worksheet was "Draw a line from the bunny to the carrot without touching any of the other lines with your pencil," and the second was "Color the two identical pictures." Griffin loved both of those (he's a very hands-on guy), and worked on them for a long time. He takes his time coloring now, and wants to make sure that the colors he uses are true-to-life. No more purple trees or green elephants. He checks with me, and if I don't know what color something should be, we look it up online so that he can be accurate.

Can you say "perfectionist"?

He must get it from his father.

It was a good first day of school! And yes, I know, it is only preschool. But he will be learning how to read this year, and learning how to follow written instructions, sit still and listen.

It's going to be a good year!

1 comment:

New Frontier Academy said...

Hey Carody it's me Trish Medlin. Ran across your blog today and thought I would drop in and say HEY!!! We home school also, although my boys are in 7th...oh I feel so old. We have been homeschooling for 2 years and LOVE it. Check out our blog that has all of our home school adventures. They have been many.
If you ever want to chat just hollar at me.
http://www.medlinnewfrontieracademy.blogspot.com/