Thursday, July 24, 2008

Whole Food? What's That?

I am finding out! It will be a long, hard process, but I am going to be trying my very hardest to stick to a "whole foods" way of living. I am headed toward diabetes at a train's pace... okay, maybe not the speed of the trains that run through our town, but at a FAST train's pace. And my children have diabetes on both sides of their "family lines," so I think it's only right that I make a concerted effort to help us all live healthier lives so that we can spend a long time together as a family, God willing!

I made my first "official" trip to Whole Foods yesterday, and although it is definitely not on The Grocery Game plan, it was a very productive trip. ("official" in that I did my entire week of grocery shopping there, with this new way of eating in mind the whole time) As a dear friend of mine often says, "It is better to spend more on good quality food now than on doctor's bills later." I have always agreed with this statement, but my actions where food is concerned have never matched my beliefs. So now I'm going to work on my actions!

Last night for dinner, we had a rotisserie chicken, white peach slices, homemade guacamole and chips, tomato slices with fresh ground salt and pepper, and carrots. I got home from the grocery store at about 7:15 last night, so we were all starving, and cooking was not an option. So we just threw some stuff on the table and sat down to eat.

I am lazy where food is concerned, and although I love to cook, when it comes to the average weeknight I usually just end up throwing something together (usually not something very healthy).

Anyway, I could say a lot more about this, but I think the proof will be in the so-called pudding. So I will be trying to post recipes and menus on here so that you all can see what we're eating, but also so that you can try the recipes if you want to.

My Guacamole

2 ripe avocadoes -- cut in half, then remove seed by whacking with big sharp knife and twisting out, then scoop out avocado with spoon
1/4 or 1/2 tomato -- cut into chunks, remove the seeds
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
1 or 2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp salt, or more to taste

Mash avocado with fork or spoon. I like mine chunky, so I don't mash it too much. Add other ingredients and mix together with spoon. Serve immediately. Even with the lemon or lime juice it will still turn brown after a couple of hours. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

I'm trying this recipe, too!!!

angela | the painted house said...

Go Carody! I know Whole Foods thanks you! Many a pretty penny of mine gets spent there.

Take baby steps.