Sunday, October 28, 2007

Pumpkin Carving


I had so much fun at Bonnie's house carving pumpkins two weekends ago. I had never carved a pumpkin before, so it was a crash course. What a great time we had! I never knew just how icky the inside of a pumpkin really is.
We had all sorts of yummy food. Corn on the cob, partially husked. The poor guy at the grocery store didn't realize she wanted the husk ON the cob, and thought he was being nice by husking it for her. We had seen Tyler Florence make corn on the cob just the week before by throwing it husk and all onto a pan and baking it for about 20 minutes. It looked amazing, and you could hold it by the husk to eat it. Well, she had to wrap hers in foil since the husk wasn't all the way on, but it still tasted fabulous!
She had made finger sandwiches that were really yummy. I found out that I like smoked salmon, capers, and something green that I don't remember the name of... help me out, Bonnie.
There was a plate of fresh veggies (blanched asparagus, red pepper slices, baby carrots, and possibly some other things that I didn't taste) with olive oil/herb dip and a creamy Italian dip. I will not attempt to spell what she called the plate of veggies. But the Crew Di-Tay was wonderful. Teehee!
There were crackers and a very spicy, very delicious jabanero/haverto/jalapeno/something cheese. And the spiced apple cider. WELL. That was so good.
Bonnie is an amazing cook! Of course, I had gone to her house the night before while she was making a loaf of pumpkin pound cake, and had to smell it while it was baking. Bonnie also teased me that she had apple cider but I couldn't have any! AND THAT WAS JUST WRONG.
When she said it was time for pumpkin cake at the party, you'd better believe I was the first one out of my chair!
It was such a fun time, and as a door prize we all got a light for the inside of our pumpkins! How cool is that? The boys got a big kick out of turning the light on at night and turning it off in the morning.


In case you can't tell, the picture on my pumpkin is a ghost at the top, and the word "BOO!" on the bottom. No one could tell what it was on first looking at it, so I thought I would explain it.
Good times!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I had been thinking straight, I would have given you the FIRST piece of the cake!